strange network interface problem

From: Glenn Johnson <gjohnson_at_srrc.ars.usda.gov>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 22:53:15 -0500
This is a weird one but hopefully someone can help.  I have two software
programs that I frequently use and they each use licensing software that
depends on the Ethernet interface.  One uses FlexLM and the other a node
locked scheme.  They are both Linux programs, which may be important.
The machine in question is a dual homed machine with one xl interface
and one fxp interface.  The xl interface is on a 192.168.1.0 network and
the fxp is on the corporate LAN.  The hostname points to the 192.168.1.1
address.  The license keys were generated from the MAC address of the xl
interface.  This worked fine as of a couple of days ago but because of
the ffs bug I am not about to back my sources back in time.

After updating to a recent -CURRENT,

FreeBSD 5.1-BETA #0: Thu May  8 12:42:08 CDT 2003     root_at_node1.cluster.srrc.usda.gov:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CLUSTER-FW

the programs in question are getting the interfaces mixed up.  For the
program that uses the node locked scheme I was able to get another
license generated and so am okay for that one.  However, the program
that uses FlexLM is locked to the 192.168.1.0 network.  The problem is
the software is seeing the dual homed machine on the wrong interface and
so thinks it is not on the network.

Here is some data to illustrate the problem.  The ifconfig utility shows
the xl interface to be:

xl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
	inet6 fe80::201:2ff:fec9:21d5%xl0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
	ether 00:01:02:c9:21:d5
	status: active

The FlexLM daemon is seeing this as the primary interface, as it should.
Here is the output of 'lmutil lmhostid':

lmutil - Copyright (C) 1989-2000 Globetrotter Software, Inc.
The FLEXlm host ID of this machine is "000102c921d5"

Note that the host ID is correctly derived from the ether address of
00:01:02:c9:21:d5 for xl0.

However, the software that uses the license "sees" the fxp interface and
gets that IP address, the one on the corporate LAN instead of the one on
the 192.168.1.0 network.  Of course, I then get a message about the host
not being on the correct network.  This just started happening and since
the other license software did a similar thing, I am inclined to think
that something is up with FreeBSD -CURRENT.  Like I said, this all _did_
work just a few days ago.

I hope I have made sense here and thanks in advance for any input.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252