Re: data corruption with current (maybe sis chipset related?)

From: Don Lewis <truckman_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 00:26:22 -0700 (PDT)
On  9 May, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Chris BeHanna wrote:

>>     And, why aren't Bosko's patches in the tree?
>
> I don't know.  I do know that they increased the minimum memory
> requirements by 4M (part of Bosko's approach to a fix requires
> linking the kernel with a base address aligned on a 4M boundary).

How hard would it be to make this a compile time option?  Small memory
machines are unlikely to want to use 4 MB pages anyway.  In other words
a configuration option that would disable 4 MB pages and put the kernel
at its current location when set one way, and would enable 4MB pages and
relocate the kernel on a 4 MB boundary when set the other way.

I really dislike our default configuration of a little bit more speed at
the expense of data integrity.  If that's what I really wanted, I could
probably get even more speed by overclocking.