Re: data corruption with DISABLE_PSE+DISABLE_PG_G: unrelated

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 23:12:40 +0200
In message <20030510210909.GA10081_at_gforce.johnson.home>, Glenn Johnson writes:

>I recently set up 6 AMD AthlonMP-2400+ systems, each with dual
>processors.  I put Corsair memory (256MB) in them which I feel is a
>good brand.  On two of the systems, I had to underclock them to get
>them stable.  They went from 2400+ to 2100+, I forget what the exact
>clock speeds are.  I was getting memory errors at "normal" speed.
>The machines would core dump on certain processes and it was very
>reproducible.  In light of this discussion, I am wondering if I add the
>two kernel options under discussion if I could bring those machines back
>up to their rated speeds and have them be stable.  Any thoughts on that?

When I got my dual AthlonMP system, I had a hell of a time getting
it stable.  There were one particular stick of RAM it just would
run with.

I tried underclocking, extra cooling, rearranging ram sticks you
name it, but always the same result.

Then I flashed to the latest BIOS, and it's been stable as a rock
since then.

The BIOS update had no mention of anthing even remotely in that
area.

So, if nothing else, make sure you have your BIOS up to date.