Re: sysinstall non-USB mouse dialog confusing

From: Scott Long <scott_long_at_btc.adaptec.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 19:23:57 -0600
David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 06:34:17PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
>
>>>Well, I would disagree that USB mice aren't much more common nowadays, but
>>>the other line of reasoning that I neglected to make explicity in my post
>>>is that OTHER usb devices are becoming much more common as well, and there
>>>is not currently an "enable usb support" dialog in sysinstall other than
>>>the very confusing one for mice. Therefore, I think the more generalized
>>>wording below is more suitable.

>>How about a compromise?  Change "Do you have a non-USB mouse attached"
>>to "Do you have a USB mouse attached".  Leaving the default answer to
>>'no' means that users that don't read well get dumped into the moused
>>dialog, which is probably ok.  Dunno.
>

> I think DoubB is correct -- we should have a more generic "Do you have
> any USB devices" question.  I still think the mouse question should
> specifically state "PS/2 or serial mouse" -- that is really what is being
> processed there.

serial, ps/2, parallel, etc.  Anyways, I thought that the real point of
the dialog was to decide whether or not to present the moused config
dialog.  The choice to enable usbd should be made in the dialog that
lets you set the other rc.conf variables, with the default being 'yes'
(I think that even David can agree that usb is ubiquious these days =-).
Looking back, I guess I like Doug's original proposal.

Scott