Re: mtv leaves a zombie after exit

From: Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd_at_over-yonder.net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 21:37:12 -0500
On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 03:31:52PM -0700 I heard the voice of
Doug Barton, and lo! it spake thus:
> For some time now on -current whenever I run mtv, it leaves a zombie after
> it exits:
>
> USER     PID  PPID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS STAT STARTED      TIME COMMAND
> doug       0     1  0.0  0.0     0    0 ZW   -         0:00.00  (mtvp)

FWIW, I've seen this also.  At one time there was something weird in the
Linux emulation layer that made _all_ Linux binaries leave zombies lying
around; I have vague memories that mtv did keep doing it after that was
fixed.  You'd be amazed the effect on system performance that 2 thousand
zombies can have   8-)

My solution was to just dump mtv; about that time mplayer started getting
itself workable.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd_at_over-yonder.net