Re: strange network interface problem

From: Chris BeHanna <chris_at_pennasoft.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 23:46:07 -0400
On Saturday 10 May 2003 12:03, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 10:05:55AM -0400, Chris BeHanna wrote:
> >
> >     Is it possible that someone at corporate mucked with DNS so that
> > the software that needs the license from FlexLM is resolving to the
> > wrong address?
>
> No, I maintain my own DNS for my machines.

> > > xl0 is first.
> > >
> > > [...attempts to reorder ifconfig if listing via juggling in rc.conf
> > > didn't work...]
> >
> >     Is the software that needs the license running on your box, or on
> > some other box in the corporate LAN?
>
> It is running on several boxes on the 192.168.1.0 network.  It is the
> dual homed machine that is the problem because the software all of a
> sudden started picking up the IP address on the secondary interface
> rather than on the primary interface.

    Wait a minute.  I thought you said the client boxes that need to
get the license key are going to the wrong if?  Or is it the program
that is using FlexLM on the dual-homed host that is grabbing the MAC
from the wrong if to do the license check?

> > > The fxp interface is on the motherboard.
> >
> >     That is probably part of your answer as to why the software finds
> > it first.
>
> But it is configured second by the OS and I can not seem to stress this
> enough, it was working fine just a few days ago.  The software _was_
> getting the IP address of the xl interface just a few days ago.  The
> only thing that changed was the update of -current.

    Could you work around this by adding a CNAME record for the xl
address?  Say, "flexlm.company.com" or the like, and then configure
the software to use that hostname for the license check?

    (I'm thinking this probably won't work, given that you've already
stated that the hostname of your machine points to the xl if's
address, but you have nothing to lose.)

    Does your box *have* to be multi-homed?  Can you do one-armed
routing off the xl interface and disable the fxp interface instead?

--
Chris BeHanna                      http://www.pennasoft.com
Principal Consultant