Re: sparc64 newfs vs. i386 newfs

From: Barney Wolff <barney_at_databus.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 12:52:02 -0400
On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 09:24:42AM -0500, matt wrote:

> This is probably a dumb question - I'l imagine I'm just missing something
> obvious, but here goes...  Is there any way to newfs a vnode backed md()
> filesystem on a sparc64 system, transfer the relevant file that served as
> the md() vnode backed filesystem to an i386 system, and mount the
> filesystem?  I've tried all sorts of various flags to newfs and mount
> without any luck.  What am I missing?

I seem to recall that fs structs contain things in host byte-order, so
can't be moved between big and little.  There was some discussion of
changing that for ufs2 but I think the conclusion was negative.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.