Re: 5.0-R won't boot partition 60G into a drive

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 22:50:26 -0700
walt wrote:
> Terry Lambert wrote:
> > I recommend "Partition Magic".  Most Windows "recovery CDs"
> > these days will overwrite the entire disk, due to XP using
> > NTFS, and most recovery software disk mastering software
> > being too stupid to understand sizing/writing NTFS...
>
> I'd like to put in a word for Acronis's 'Partition Expert'
> which I now like better than 'Partition Magic'.
>
> I used PM for years, in fact I bought every new version as
> it was released.  The last two versions of PM just are not
> up to their old standards, IMO.  They seem to be resting
> on their laurels instead of making real improvements.

I don't know about that; they didn't used to support NTFS,
and now they do, so they are adding features over time.

The one glaring omission, IMO, is the need to have a FAT-32
partition to install BootMagic, their boot manager; it's not
capable of reading its own data from NTFS.

I like the Acronis' ability to make a boot-restore CD; but
you'd probably have to use a DVD-R for most installations,
and it doesn't seem to support that.

I'd be happier if either one of them supported UFS (or even
UFS2) and/or running under FreeBSD.  It'd also be nice if
they would share their how-to-write-NTFS-journal-files
know-how.  8-).

I don't think either one of them does the right thing for
moving LILO's cached block list for the Kernel around, so
it's pretty dumb to support all those Linux FS's, when you
can't move your root around.  8-|.

-- Terry