gcc/libm floating-point bug?

From: Jon Lido <jlido_at_goof.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 10:25:30 -0400
I've been running 5-CURRENT on my laptop for about a week now.  I believe I
may have found a bug in FreeBSD's gcc floating-point code generation, or
perhaps more likely, in the math library.

Like most users, I don't do much with floating point, so it took me a while to
narrow this one down.  Where I've noticed the problem is playing when lossy
audio.  When playing MP3s with artsd, xmms, or mpg123, I can get extremely
noisy output (like static), with the audio distorted, but recognizable
underneath.  Ogg Vorbis files don't play at all, and simply crash artsd and
xmms.  I would have dismissed this as an audio problem, but I am able to play
wav and shn audio (which uses integer math for decompression, I believe)
fine.  Additionally, I can decode and play MP3s fine with mpg321, which uses
an integer decoder.

I know my floating point hardware is fine, since I used to run xmms and artsd
fine under Linux before I switched the machine to FreeBSD.

I'd appreciate any help with further isolating and reproducing the bug.  Has
anyone else experienced this problem?

-Jon