Re: KSE panic

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 08:39:22 -0700
"Daniel C. Sobral" wrote:
> This time I don't have a full backtrace because I had just compiled a
> new kernel. Anyone knows how do I get kernel.debug installed right along
> all the rest of the stuff? :-(

Use "config -g GENERIC"; the "-g" option causes the kernel.debug
to be created.

You don't install "kernel.debug" itself; instead, you install the
debug-stripped version, "kernel".  When you do a remote debug, or
are examining a crash-dump, then you *use* the "kernel.debug" to
obtain symbol and debug information.

In other words, it's a thing you use post-mortem on a dead kernel,
either against a live system sitting in a panic, or against the
crashdump image.  It's easiest if you build on one machine, and
use the other as a sacrificial lamb, so you have all your sources
and everything on hand on a non-dead machine to debug the dead
one.  See also "The FreeBSD Handbook" in the documentation section
of the web site, and "info gdb" -- specifically "target remote"
and "attach".

If you need more help after you get that far, you'll be in a
position to post better information for whoever is willing to
help you track down the bug.

-- Terry