Re: gcc/libm floating-point bug?

From: Anti <fearow_at_attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 09:36:23 -0500
> > I feel some will screem if we take away the ability to use
> > -march=pentium4 in places they know for sure will work.  Unix is about
> > mechanisms, not policy.
>
> Well, we've got a compiler here with a broken mechanism.  Deciding whether or
> not to act on it sounds like a policy decision to me.  I just hope 5.1
> doesn't get shipped with such an easy way to break stuff.

p4 should expand to "-march=pentium4 -mno-sse2" (could set it to pentium3, but
then people would see pentium3 being used when they specified p4 and think it's
a bug)...

any educated person with a legit reason to use -march=pentium4 without disabling
sse2 can always add it to CFLAGS instead of setting it in CPUTYPE...

don't see why anyone wouldn't want to put an end to all the breakage and bug
reports due to this when the fix is so simple and of no real harm...