Re: Updating -CURRENT, what about outdated files?

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 20:48:17 +0300
On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 06:44:32PM +1000, Joshua Goodall wrote:
> On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 06:44:19AM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > I do this a lot too.  And I use "find . -mtime +1 ! -type d" to
> > seek for the stale stuff.  This of course requires that you're
> > not running with ``INSTALL="install -C"'' in /etc/make.conf.
>
> Is there any part of installworld that uses tools other than
> rm, mtree, install and ln?

Sure, a lot of.  We use all tools that are copied into the
${INSTALLTMP} as the first step of installworld.

> With appropriate wrappers, it shouldn't be hard to maintain
> a canonical list of installed files; it's not far from there
> to detection of stale base files.

No, this is not as easy as it may seem at a glance.  Some
files are only installed if the destination does not yet
exist, and there you are going to have a problem with this
approarch.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,