Re: Updating -CURRENT, what about outdated files?

From: Joshua Goodall <joshua_at_roughtrade.net>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 17:48:23 +1000
On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 08:48:17PM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 06:44:32PM +1000, Joshua Goodall wrote:
> > On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 06:44:19AM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > > I do this a lot too.  And I use "find . -mtime +1 ! -type d" to
> > > seek for the stale stuff.  This of course requires that you're
> > > not running with ``INSTALL="install -C"'' in /etc/make.conf.
> >
> > Is there any part of installworld that uses tools other than
> > rm, mtree, install and ln?
> >
> Sure, a lot of.  We use all tools that are copied into the
> ${INSTALLTMP} as the first step of installworld.

I must correct myself.

I should have written "Is there any part of installworld where
files/dirs/links are installed using tools other than ..."

Actually the total list seems really short to me;

[ awk cat chflags chmod chown date echo egrep find grep
ln make mkdir mtree mv pwd_mkdb rm sed sh sysctl
test true uname wc zic

I can think of three methods;

i)   a simple wrapper that attempts to parse the subset of
     invocations used by installworld, and maintain a log,
ii)  an LD_PRELOAD-based wrapper, taking advantage of recent
     dynamic linkage changes,
iii) building installation editions of those tools, so that they
     maintain a log of activity.

Obviously not all are attractive.

> Some files are only installed if the destination does not yet
> exist, and there you are going to have a problem with this
> approarch.

Either way, the file exists.  I wasn't looking for anything more
sophisticated than that in a first pass at this.

Other than the general case of using install -C, can you
point out any specific examples?  I thought that was the point
of mergemaster; to manage elements of the distribution where
simply overwriting would be inappropriate.

Joshua Goodall                                      "tea makes itself"
joshua_at_roughtrade.net                                       - Ana Susanj