Re: Timecounter "TSC" frequency 451024462

From: Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des_at_ofug.org>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:08:09 +0200
[moved from -stable to -current]

Roberto Nunnari <nunnari_at_die.supsi.ch> writes:
> I just upgraded my server from 4.7-Stable to 5.0-Release by a full
> install.

You shouldn't have.  At the very least, you should have waited for 5.1
(which is only a week away now).

> Now I hit a problem with the date.. the time goes much faster
> than normal.. maybe twice as normal...

You have a broken ACPI timer (Asus motherboard with Aladdin chipset?).
The simplest solution is to disable the ACPI timer in loader.conf:

debug.acpi.disable="timer"

Alternatively, you can leave the ACPI timer in but use the
kern.timecounter.hardware sysctl to select the TSC or i8254 timer
instead (the TSC has less overhead but doesn't always work on SMP
systems)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des_at_ofug.org