Re: Timecounter "TSC" frequency 451024462

From: Roberto Nunnari <nunnari_at_die.supsi.ch>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 15:12:21 +0200
Hello Dag,

thanks for your answer.

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> [moved from -stable to -current]
>
> Roberto Nunnari <nunnari_at_die.supsi.ch> writes:
>
>>I just upgraded my server from 4.7-Stable to 5.0-Release by a full
>>install.
>

> You shouldn't have.  At the very least, you should have waited for 5.1
> (which is only a week away now).

no problem.. I'll cvsup and make world as soon as 5.1 is released.
It's not a production server, so that's not a problem.

What is interesting is that with 4.7-Stable the faulty timer was
handled correctly (or correctly ignored).. so I'd suggest to fix
in software the hardware bug in 5.1-Release, or at least in -current.

>>Now I hit a problem with the date.. the time goes much faster
>>than normal.. maybe twice as normal...
>

> You have a broken ACPI timer (Asus motherboard with Aladdin chipset?).

Yes! You're right!

> The simplest solution is to disable the ACPI timer in loader.conf:
>
> debug.acpi.disable="timer"
>
> Alternatively, you can leave the ACPI timer in but use the
> kern.timecounter.hardware sysctl to select the TSC or i8254 timer
> instead (the TSC has less overhead but doesn't always work on SMP
> systems)
>
> DES

I already had fixed it with sysctl, but I'll give a try to the
loader.conf solution as well.

Best regards.
--
               Roberto Nunnari -software engineer-