Re: Timecounter "TSC" frequency 451024462

From: Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des_at_ofug.org>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 22:09:06 +0200
Roberto Nunnari <nunnari_at_die.supsi.ch> writes:
> What is interesting is that with 4.7-Stable the faulty timer was
> handled correctly (or correctly ignored)..

That's because 4.7 incorrectly fails to use ACPI to configure the
system.  As a result, 4.7 is unusable on newer laptops (which no
longer support APM) and possibly also some high-end servers (where you
need ACPI to figure out correct interrupt routing).

>                                            so I'd suggest to fix
> in software the hardware bug in 5.1-Release, or at least in -current.

There's no reliable way to do so.  We *already* try to check that the
clock we choose is correct.  The best we can do is flag the chipset as
known bad and never use the ACPI timer on that chipset, which will
penalize motherboards which use this chipset but have correct ACPI
tables.

> I already had fixed it with sysctl, but I'll give a try to the
> loader.conf solution as well.

Using sysctl is an imperfect solution as the clock will run at double
speed for a while before /etc/rc.d/sysctl is run.  If you're running a
lengthy fsck due to a power outage, that may be a long time.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des_at_ofug.org