Re: policy on GPL'd drivers?

From: Stijn Hoop <stijn_at_win.tue.nl>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:35:41 +0200
On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 07:28:29AM -0500, David Leimbach wrote:
> I have the GPLd source to the nforce drivers for Linux
> to support the nVidia nforce and nforce2 drivers in the kernel.
>
> To port these to FreeBSD would be an interesting task [if it hasn't
> already been done] and I have been looking for an excuse to get
> down and dirty with FBSD.
> [Yes... talk is cheap... just do it... Nike-a-go-go etc etc... :)]
>
> What is the policy on drivers that are clearly going to have to be
> GPLd by the viral clause since I am referencing a GPL driver to do the
> porting work myself?  Are these allowed in the kernel?
>
> <semi-joke>
> Can we have a "tainted" flag for kernels running GPL drivers :).
> </semi-joke>

I'm interested in this too -- I have a working FreeBSD prototype of the
i8k Linux driver, fan control for Dell laptops. I was planning to ask
the author if he was willing to relicense it to BSD, but failing that
the answer to this question might be interesting.

--Stijn

--
"What if everything you see is more than what you see -- the person next to
you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another