policy on GPL'd drivers?

From: David Leimbach <leimy2k_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 07:28:29 -0500
I have the GPLd source to the nforce drivers for Linux
to support the nVidia nforce and nforce2 drivers in the kernel.

To port these to FreeBSD would be an interesting task [if it hasn't
already been done] and I have been looking for an excuse to get
down and dirty with FBSD.
[Yes... talk is cheap... just do it... Nike-a-go-go etc etc... :)]

What is the policy on drivers that are clearly going to have to be
GPLd by the viral clause since I am referencing a GPL driver to do the
porting work myself?  Are these allowed in the kernel?

<semi-joke>
Can we have a "tainted" flag for kernels running GPL drivers :).
</semi-joke>

Dave Leimbach