Re: policy on GPL'd drivers?

From: David Leimbach <leimy2k_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 11:25:15 -0500
.

>Well, network driver is a special case as it is this weird binary
>'kernel' + OS shim combination which is getting popular lately. Have you
>thought about getting NVidia's permission to link non-GPLed shims with
>their binary object?

I have thought about it... but don't know enough to pursue it at the moment.

I am quite the amatuer...

>A quick scan through NVidia audio driver sources suggests that the
>device is very similar to Intel ICH2 AC'97-based cards. Should you see
>is BSD-led ich.c driver can be reused instead of the Linux driver?

>From the release notes:
 "the audio driver is based on the open source  i810 audio driver
 but has been modified to work with NVIDIA hardware."

I don't want to guess how much modification will be needed to make
the nvidia one work.