Re: policy on GPL'd drivers?

From: Daniel C. Sobral <dcs_at_tcoip.com.br>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 11:06:24 -0300
David Leimbach wrote:
> I have the GPLd source to the nforce drivers for Linux
> to support the nVidia nforce and nforce2 drivers in the kernel.
>
> To port these to FreeBSD would be an interesting task [if it hasn't
> already been done] and I have been looking for an excuse to get
> down and dirty with FBSD.
> [Yes... talk is cheap... just do it... Nike-a-go-go etc etc... :)]
>
> What is the policy on drivers that are clearly going to have to be
> GPLd by the viral clause since I am referencing a GPL driver to do the
> porting work myself?  Are these allowed in the kernel?

Well, you can't have a GPL driver in the kernel. But, alas, what "in the
kernel" means is a bit fuzzy. Basically, no GPL code will go in GENERIC,
because GENERIC is what we distribute, and having any GPL code in it
would automatically taint the rest of the kernel.

Also, there's some dispute on whether something that is linkable to the
kernel, like a kernel module, would taint the kernel too. LGPL is
preferred because there's no such doubts in this case. But I think the
general consensus is that a kernel module can't taint the kernel.

This would cause trouble mostly for installation. A user, of course, is
free to compile a kernel with all the GPL code he wants.

--
Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Gerencia de Operacoes

Outros:
	dcs_at_newsguy.com
	dcs_at_freebsd.org
	capo_at_notorious.bsdconspiracy.net

The one you want is never the one on sale.