ACPI crash

From: Mikhail Kruk <meshko_at_cs.brandeis.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 11:10:26 -0400 (EDT)
Hello,
I've seen this reported before, but don't see a resolution. Maybe my
logs will help solve the problem.
When my Gateway laptop boots, I get a couple of logs about ACPI problems.
See attached dmesg.txt
Later (10-30 minutes) I get a crash with the following trace.

fault virtual address	= 0x80790ab0
fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc06ea4d0
stack pointer		= 0x10:0xcd10bbf0
frame pointer		= 0x19:0xcd10bbf0
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process		= 6 (acpi_task1)
kernel: type 12 trap, code=0
Stopped at	AcpiNsMapHandleToNode+0x20:	cmpb	$0xaa,0(%edx)

trace:
AcpiNsMapHandleToNode contrib/dev/acpica/nsutils.c
AcpiGetHandle
acpi_pwer_switch_consumer dev/acpica/acpi_powerres.c
acpi_tz_switch_cooler_on  dev/acpica/acpi_thermal.c
acpi_ForeachPackageObject dev/acpica/acpi_thermal.c
acpi_tz_monitor
atcpi_task_thread
fork_exit
fork_trampoline

The trace is always the same, but the process is different (acpi_task1,
_task2, _thermal)
The problem is easily reproduced by doing a big compilation (kernel or
buildworld).

See also:
http://polkan2.dyndns.org/~meshko/foo.dsdt
http://polkan2.dyndns.org/~meshko/foo.asl

I also have a couple of related questions.
1) I tried putting some debug outputs in acpi code, and messages that I
put in contrib/dev/acpica/* are showing up. However messages I put in
dev/acpica do not seem to go anywhere. I can't find any object files
generated from that directory. What am I missing?

2) Is there a workaround for this problem before ACPI gets fixed? I tried
booting without it (unset acpi_enable), but it just hangs during the boot.
Would it work if I disabled some part of ACPI? Would the laptop overheat
if I do that? Can I somehow enable APM instead of ACPI? RedHat 8 works
fine on the same laptop and it seems to be using APM only, no ACPI.

Please cc: me, not subscribed.