Re: /etc/hosts completely ignored

From: Fred Souza <fred_at_storming.org>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 14:08:04 -0300
[snip]

> -bash-2.05b# cat /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1               localhost.noonlights.net localhost
> 192.168.1.5             jupiter.noonlights.net jupiter
> 192.168.1.5             jupiter.noonlights.net.
> 193.5.56.6              www.freebsd.org myfreebsd

[snip]
> -bash-2.05b# cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
> hosts:  files dns
>

> -bash-2.05b# cat /etc/host.conf
> hosts
> bind
>

> -bash-2.05b# cat /etc/resolv.conf
> domain  noonlights.net
> nameserver      195.190.166.166
> nameserver      195.190.166.167
>
> -bash-2.05b# host localhost
> Host not found.
>
> -bash-2.05b# host localhost.noonlights.net
> Host not found.

  I think it's host-related. I have a similar setup muself, although I'm
  currently running 5.1-BETA (sources as of around midnight 28/05/03
  GMT-3). If I try `host localhost`, I get Host not found, too. But if I
  try `host localhost.`, it finds that host fine. Have you tried `host
  localhost.noonlights.net.` or even `host localhost.`? I think it might
  be because host forces the inclusion of its domainname at the end of
  the argument if it's not dot-ended.

  The rest of the output you pasted suggests that I'm right about this,
  and thus it _is_ a host's fault. I agree that we should fix our base
  code, but I support the idea of reporting that to ISC, so they can
  merge the changes to their codebase instead.

  Fred

--
"idiot box, n:
        The part of the envelope that tells a person where to place