Re: policy on GPL'd drivers?

From: Don Lewis <truckman_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 10:10:07 -0700 (PDT)
On 28 May, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <200305281524.10145.doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
>             "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au> writes:

> : 2) You can't control where the module gets put - arguably this isn't a
> : calamity, but I think it makes more sense for the modules to end up in
> : /boot/modules, or some analog to it that is in $PREFIX.
>
> It should go in /boot/kernel, and not into $PREFIX, but that's a
> philisophical problem I have with ports.  ALL modules should be in /,
> imho, since you don't know if the module is required to mount /.

Another really good reason is that this is more likely to do the correct
thing if you do a major system upgrade, like jumping from 4.x to 5.x,
which are very likely to require different versions of the module, and
discover some sort of problem when you boot the new kernel to test it
before proceeding to the installworld step.  The right thing should
happen when you fall back to /boot/kernel.old, or
/boot/kernel.itusedtowork, etc.