Re: HEADS UP! Major commits in the tree coming soon

From: Thorsten Futrega <tfutrega_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 20:05:42 +0100 (BST)
 --- Stephen Montgomery-Smith
<stephen_at_math.missouri.edu> wrote: > Thorsten Futrega
wrote:

> > - Remove GNU tar.
>

> I really don't see a need for any version of tar to
> be in the base system.  I

It's not needed if we have pax, and GNU tar generates
broken tar files that can't be extracted with, e.g.
NetBSD pax or Solaris' tar.

> Shouldn't we also drop support for the earlier
> pentium systems as well?  I think

That's certainly planned for 6.0

> > - Add perl 5.8 *and* python 2.2 to base.
> I agree - perl makes a perfect replacement for tar.

You've showed me in the past that you have zero
respect
for both the project and the community, so , please,

Thorsten