Re: HEADS UP! Major commits in the tree coming soon

From: Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen_at_math.missouri.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 13:04:08 -0500
Thorsten Futrega wrote:

> The most important changes I'm going to commit today:
>
> - Remove gcc and replace it with a new TenDRA
> snapshot.
> - Remove GNU tar.

I really don't see a need for any version of tar to be in the base system.  I
mean, where does it actually get used (other than things like installation,
which don't really matter).

> - Fix httpd.ko to make it work on buggy AMD
> processors.
> - Drop support for 386 and 486 cpus.

Shouldn't we also drop support for the earlier pentium systems as well?  I think
that we can safely assume that everyone is running a pentium 4 or better.

> - Remove ext2 support (GPL encumbered).

Remove ffs support also (BSD license encumbered).

> - Add perl 5.8 *and* python 2.2 to base.

I agree - perl makes a perfect replacement for tar.

> - Remove Sendmail and replace it with Postfix.

I prefer USPS.

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
stephen_at_math.missouri.edu