Re: Libthr stable enough for testing

From: Mike Makonnen <mtm_at_identd.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 17:06:52 -0400
I have committed some changes to libthr today. All but one of them were bug
fixes, so I encourage everyone to update their source.

On Wed, 28 May 2003 22:20:19 -0700
Lars Eggert <larse_at_ISI.EDU> wrote:

> Mike Makonnen wrote:
> >
> > Most major locking work in libthr is finished. I believe it is stable
> > enough now that it can be used for most applications[1]. I would
> > appreciate it if people would try it out and report any bugs.
>
> I had been running with libc_r symlinked to libthr for a few days with
> no problems, and rebuilt some ports during that time.
>
> The machine (SMP) would sometimes freeze solid (no panic).
> I symlinked
> libc_r back to the original library, and from then on, starting
> gnomepanel and some other gnome pieces would fail due to errors about
> libthr. I couldn't find them in any log file right now, but I think I
> remember one was about getpwuid_r not being found. (The ports that
> caused problems were gnome 2.3 beta ports from the marcuscom CVS tree.)
>
>  From what I understand, libthr should be a drop-in replacement for
> libc_r, so I was surprised to see this, but maybe I misunderstood?

No, you're right. The ports must have been statically linked. I'll investigate.

As for the lockups, libthr by itself should not be able to lockup your machine.
I'll investigate when I get back access to the SMP machine.

> I'll try to get a dump of the exact error messages when I have access to
>   the box again in a few days.

Please.

Cheers.
--
Mike Makonnen  | GPG-KEY: http://www.identd.net/~mtm/mtm.asc
mtm_at_identd.net | D228 1A6F C64E 120A A1C9  A3AA DAE1 E2AF DBCC 68B9