Re: Libthr stable enough for testing

From: Lars Eggert <larse_at_ISI.EDU>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 17:38:04 -0700
Mike Makonnen wrote:
> I have committed some changes to libthr today. All but one of them were bug
> fixes, so I encourage everyone to update their source.
>>I'll try to get a dump of the exact error messages when I have access to
>>  the box again in a few days.
>
> Please.

I tried, but the following is a surefire way to freeze my SMP box solid
at the moment (with today's libthr):

	1. symlink libc_r to libthr
	2. portupgrade -f gnomepanel
	3. start gnome
	4. machine freezes solid while gnome splash screen shows

To resurrect:

	1. remove libthr symlink
	2. portupgrade -f gnomepanel
	3. start gnome, works fine

I could never reproduce the symptoms from a few days ago, where some
pieces (i.e. gnomepanel) would not start giving an error message, but
the rest of gnome came up, and the machine didn't freeze. (And "freeze"
== ping fails and no panic showing on a serial console.)

Any ideas what else to try?

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse_at_isi.edu>           USC Information Sciences Institute