Re: USB (mouse) problem

From: Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 16:01:55 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, sebastian ssmoller wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 15:18, Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:
> > On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, sebastian ssmoller wrote:
> >
> > > recently i installed freebsd 5 current on an asus m2400n notebook. most
> > > things work fine so far, but one ugly problem left: every time i plug in
> > > my usb mouse the system freezes. the system is really dead then (needs
> > > to be rebooted) - even the light on the optical mouse is swiched off.
> >
> > Please read the handbook on the proper form for problem reports. In the
>
> sorry for not providing enough information. i did not want to submit a
> problem report. i just wanted to see whether somebody has similar
> problems and whether it really is a problem - or i am just not clever
> enough to configure my system ... :)
>
> so here are further info:
> -i tried both: x11 and vt (console). plugging in the mouse always causes
> system freeze
> -uname -a:
> FreeBSD hadriel.linnet 5.1-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #0: Sun Nov  2
> 16:37:45 CET 2003 root_at_hadriel.linnet:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SND  i386
> -a could not found any further info about this crash (trace, log file)
> -i attached my kernel config file
> -unfort. i do not have a proper cable to set up a serial
> connection/console :(
> -what kind of info should the "boot -s" command provide (i could not
> find this command on my system) ?

I typoed. I really meant to say "boot -v". You enter that at the loader(8)
prompt so for it to perform a verbose boot. It gives detailed information
about the boot process, including hardware probing and what it eventually
finds attached to the system.

Here's a couple of things that might put us on the right track:

- Does starting the system with the mouse already plugged in cause the
system to lock up as well?
- Does the machine respond to ping requests when it's "frozen"?
- Have you tried another USB mouse?
- Does this laptop support USB 2.0? If so, you might want to remove ohci
or uhci (they are mutually exclusive on the same ports) and add "ehci".

A boot -v with the mouse plugged in at startup time will provide valuable
insight into your problem.

Regards,