Re: ip_output panics on recent -CURRENT

From: Andrea Campi <andrea_at_webcom.it>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 08:26:59 +0100
On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 01:38:56PM -0800, Sam Leffler wrote:
> The problem appears to be caused by someone reclaming routing table entries
> while they are in use.  This would likely be a reference counting problem.
>
> You didn't provide any information about system kernel config or hardware
> config.  Both are important.

Aye, I'm quite aware of that; I just wanted to probe whether you knew about
it and whether more debugging on my part was necessary. Problem is, I'm
tracking down some more problems at the moment, so time for FreeBSD
activity is a bit scarce. I'll do what I can.

> You don't indicate when "last sunday" is; is that 11/02?
>
> Did you get my recent commit to in_rmx.c that was last night and fixed a
> reference counting problem (but which would probably not affect you)?
>
> Are you running with WITNESS and INVARIANT?  If not, do so.
>
> Have you tried to identify something that makes the panic happen?  (e.g. ping
> as opposed to using ssh, as opposed to NFS over UDP, etc.)
>
> Have you tried setting debug.mpsafenet=0?

Sources where from 11/02 indeed, I'm attaching my kernel config.
Relevant hardware is 1xPIII 192MB RAM, one ep (not used at time of panic)
one wi. I'm not sure at all about in_rmx.c, but very possibly no (you
didn't say when "last night" is ;-) joking, I saw in_rmx.c 1.48).

Panics happened when I only had background traffic going on - which for
my laptop means ntpd, the occasional fetchmail, postfix on localhost -
not much more. Again, I'll try to restrict.

I see now WITNESS and INVARIANT were off - oops, I forgot turning them
off at times when -CURRENT was more stable to do performance tests.
I'll get back to you when I have time to update to recent sources and
get more data points.

Bye,
	Andrea

--
   "One world, one web, one program"  -- Microsoft promotional ad
         "Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuehrer"  -- Adolf Hitler