Re: Trouble booting a SMP kernel

From: Josh Tolbert <hemi_at_puresimplicity.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 11:58:46 -0600
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 09:53:58AM -0800, Scott R. Sewall wrote:

> I need a little help diagnosing a problem booting a 5.1-RELEASE SMP kernel.
>
> The GENERIC kernel boots just fine. When I boot a GENERIC kernel with SMP
> enabled the boot fails early in the boot process.  The text from the
> console is below:
>
> Programming 16 pins in IOAPIC #0
> IOAPIC #0 intpin 2 -> irq 0
> Programming 16 pins in IOAPIC #1
> AP #1 (PHY #1) failed!
> panic y/n? [y] n
> <snip>
> APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery
> [system is locks up at this point, no more messages]
>
> Also fails to boot a FreeBSD 4.4 SMP kernel, which leads me to beleive
> it's a hardware
> problem.
>
> Is this indicative of a failed processor or is it the motherboard?
>
> Hardware is a Tyan Thunder LE-T, BIOS v1.06, Dual Pentium III 1133 MHz,
> 2GB RAM.
>
> Any advise on diagnosing the problem is greatly appreciated.
>
> -- Scott

No advice, but I experienced this exact problem last night. I'm running a Tyan
Tiger LE motherboard, 2x PIII 733, 512M RAM and various other bits. It hangs
in the exact same spot as yours does, which isn't surprising considering both
motherboards use essentially the same chipset.

This machine has ran with 4.x in the past, as well as an older 5-CURRENT, but
I don't have timeframes for either.

I'm fairly certain it's not a hardware problem. Google turns up a few other
people with the same problem, so I don't think we're alone. I was going to
fire off an e-mail to the lists today, but figured it would be best just to
chime in with a "me too" since you've already got one in.

Thanks,
Josh