Re: Trouble booting a SMP kernel

From: Josh Tolbert <hemi_at_puresimplicity.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:49:08 -0600
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 11:58:46AM -0600, Josh Tolbert wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 09:53:58AM -0800, Scott R. Sewall wrote:
> >
> > I need a little help diagnosing a problem booting a 5.1-RELEASE SMP kernel.
> >
> > The GENERIC kernel boots just fine. When I boot a GENERIC kernel with SMP
> > enabled the boot fails early in the boot process.  The text from the
> > console is below:
> >
> > Programming 16 pins in IOAPIC #0
> > IOAPIC #0 intpin 2 -> irq 0
> > Programming 16 pins in IOAPIC #1
> > AP #1 (PHY #1) failed!
> > panic y/n? [y] n
> > <snip>
> > APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery
> > [system is locks up at this point, no more messages]
> >
> > Also fails to boot a FreeBSD 4.4 SMP kernel, which leads me to beleive
> > it's a hardware
> > problem.
> >
> > Is this indicative of a failed processor or is it the motherboard?
> >
> > Hardware is a Tyan Thunder LE-T, BIOS v1.06, Dual Pentium III 1133 MHz,
> > 2GB RAM.
> >
> > Any advise on diagnosing the problem is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > -- Scott
>
> No advice, but I experienced this exact problem last night. I'm running a Tyan
> Tiger LE motherboard, 2x PIII 733, 512M RAM and various other bits. It hangs
> in the exact same spot as yours does, which isn't surprising considering both
> motherboards use essentially the same chipset.
>
> This machine has ran with 4.x in the past, as well as an older 5-CURRENT, but
> I don't have timeframes for either.
>
> I'm fairly certain it's not a hardware problem. Google turns up a few other
> people with the same problem, so I don't think we're alone. I was going to
> fire off an e-mail to the lists today, but figured it would be best just to
> chime in with a "me too" since you've already got one in.
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

To follow up, I tried the latest -CURRENT build from current.freebsd.org. The
new SMP arrangement works great and the kernel boots fine on the machine, but
I couldn't continue the install once I got past drive partitioning due to some
missing devices related to the Promise IDE RAID array.

So, as it stands, -RELEASE won't run in SMP and -CURRENT will, but -CURRENT
won't install on my machine. Of course, I put all of about five minutes' worth
of effort in to it...

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Josh