Re: Still getting NFS client locking up

From: Tim Middleton <x_at_Vex.Net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:20:13 -0500
On November 10, 2003 12:44 pm, Soren Schmidt wrote:
> For me its just the server end that fails, I've not seen the client hang.

I'm having a bad NFS day... not sure if it is the same lockups described in
this thread. In fact perhaps I'm posting to the wrong group since the server
in questoin is 4.9-STABLE. The client I am testing with is 5.1-CURRENT
(though a few months old) however.

I'm trying to make sure this server is stable, as it took a long time to get
my company to let me switch one of the servers to FreeBSD... things were
going great until i started testing NFS... now they are going very badly.

I can lock the NFS server up every time simply by mounting the nfs partition
(i'm using -t for tcp nfs and exporting with -maproot=0:0), and then running
"iozone -a" on the nfs client box. It takes a while, but the 4.9-RELEASE box
will always lock up solid eventually. Not good. )-:

I've done tests as root and non-root. Sometimes i can rescue the nfs client
box with a "mount -f", but sometimes the client box has locked up solid as
well when I've tried that.

The server is a P3-1ghz Intel STL2 box, with 1 gig of ram. Using the onboard
fxp ethernet at 100baseTX. It is not using dhcp. Nothing much else is running
on this server box as I'm just testing it. When the server locks the box can
not even be pinged.

Since the box locks up solid its hard to see what may be going on. I have left
top running to see what it says when it freezes, but it may not be accurate
depending on when it last refreshed. But for the record it has nfsd in
"biorw" state.

I tried dumping ps -lax to a file every few seconds while testing... that
didn't work very well as again the refresh is too slow, and the drive loses
the last few files when it goes down. Perhaps I can turn off caching or soft
updates or something to help with this (as you may tell, i'm not a file
systme expert --- any suggestions, welcome).

Maybe I should set up another box and test 4.9-RELEASE to 4.9-RELEASE...
and/or update my 5.1-CURRENT box for further testing...

--
Tim Middleton | Cain Gang Ltd | One afternoon, disgusted, bravo, you fall
x_at_veX.net     | www.Vex.Net   | asleep. --T.Lilburn (MS)