Re: Still getting NFS client locking up

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:37:05 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Tim Middleton wrote:

> The server is a P3-1ghz Intel STL2 box, with 1 gig of ram. Using the onboard
> fxp ethernet at 100baseTX. It is not using dhcp. Nothing much else is running
> on this server box as I'm just testing it. When the server locks the box can
> not even be pinged.

Can you set up a serial console on this system?  If so, enable these
kernel options:
options DDB
options WITNESS
options INVARIANTS
options INVARIANTS_SUPPORT
options BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER

Boot through the serial console then trigger the bug and send a break from
serial.  If you drop into ddb, then its a Giant deadlock.

If you can get that, then do 'show locks' from ddb to get a list of
potential culprits, and 'tr' for what its stuck doing.

The kernel handbook section on kernel debugging will be a useful read.