Re: open office

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:16:57 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Sweetleaf wrote:

> Does openoffice seem slow to respond to others? Clicking on a menu option
> such as "file" as to open a file takes about 30sec to give me the drop
> down menu. Also i have noticed there might be a problem with the way the
> port built or installed gtk, go to the business card creator and you
> should see just gibberesh instead of the wizzard layout. I am using the
> openoffice in the 5-current ports which is 1.1.0.
>
> System: amd athlon-xp 1800 w/256 ddr 2700 ram
>
> freebsd-5-current with 5-current ports.

Are you using libc_r, or another of the threading libraries?
Interactivity problems in applications can sometimes be attributed to
thread-level scheduling or locking problems, either in the application, or
due to the threading model.  I've found that switching to libkse makes
threaded GUI applications a lot more responsive, as the GUI can continue
to update while another thread performs slow disk I/O or the like.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories