Re: HEADS-UP new statfs structure

From: Daniel Eischen <eischen_at_vigrid.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:00:18 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Kirk McKusick writes:
>  > >
>  > > And mail/postfix and devel/gnomevfs2 (ones's i've found so far)
>
> <...>
>
>  > This is why we make this change now so that it will be in place
>  > for the masses when 5.2 is released :-)
>
> Can't we bump the libc version so that dynamically linked, non-system
> binaries can continue to work?   Having things like postfix and gnome
> dumping core seems excessivly bumpy.  Upgrading all ports is a pain.

I don't think that's a good idea.  I've also got changes in
mind that require a libc version bump, but they aren't ready
now.  I was saving them for 6.0.  Other folks may also have
similar changes in mind.  Do we really want to have yet another
version bump?

For 6.0, can we start off libc at libc.so.YYYYMMDD and move it
back to libc.so.6 for the first release?  That way we can bump
it whenever we want to avoid the "bumpy" rides for -current
folk.

--
Dan Eischen