Re: HEADS UP: /bin and /sbin are now dynamically linked

From: Robert M.Zigweid <rzigweid_at_zigweid.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:46:47 -0500
On Nov 16, 2003, at 12:10 AM, Gordon Tetlow wrote:

> I just committed a patch to change /bin and /sbin from statically to
> dynamically linked. If you don't like the idea of using a dynamically
> linked /bin and /sbin, now is the time to define NO_DYNAMICROOT in your
> make.conf.
>
> The reasons for doing so have been hashed over lots of times. But the
> short of it:
>
> 1) Much smaller /bin and /sbin. On i386, /bin and /sbin are 33 MB
> static.
>    Dynamically linked, they are only 4 MB.
> 2) Proper support for NSS. This will finally allow you to use NSS
> modules
>    and get things like usernames in ls -l working for modules that are
>    dynamically loaded.
>
> -gordon

I'll admit to being mostly a lurker here, but isn't the point of /sbin
to be statically linked.  That's what the 's' stands for?

Second question.  This seems to imply that /sbin and /bin both have to
have the same behavior?  I have no problem with /bin being dynamically
linked, but what if I want /bin to be dynamic and /sbin static?

Regards,

Robert M. Zigweid