init and USB oddities-ULE-ATA

From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h_at_schmalzbauer.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 04:39:08 +0100
Salve,

since about one day "kill 1" and "init 1" don't work anymore!
Now I don't know how to change to single user mode from normal boot now.
Usually I do installworld in singleuser mode.

Then I see the following lines on dmesg which I don't know how to hanlde:
1)
warning: KLD '/boot/kernel/linprocfs.ko' is newer than the linker.hints file
	perhaps recompiling linux-base?
2)
module_register: module uhub/ums already exists!
Module uhub/ums failed to register: 17

Then I still have the problem that hw.ata.atapi_dma=1 seems to have no effect.
When I do "atacontrol mode 1" I get:
cale:/home/harry# atacontrol mode 1
Master = PIO4
Slave  = BIOSPIO

But "sysctl hw.ata.atapi_dma" showes:
cale:/home/harry# sysctl hw.ata.atapi_dma
hw.ata.atapi_dma: 1

Setting UDMA33 with atacontrol is working. Although it's easy to add a
rc.local which does that task it's not the intetion of sysctls I think.

Next I'd like to report is what I already mentioned in "ULE and very bad
responsiveness"
I followed Jeff Roberson hint and ran setiathome with nice 20. But this didn't
really change anything.
With ULE and setiathome in the backgroug it's almost impossible to wait until
a simple "make clean" from ports is done. I waited at least a quater of an
hour where SCHED_4BSD needs about 15 Seconds (aof course, also running seti
in the backgorund)
Even if I don't have seti running I can _feel_ significantly difference
between ULE and 4BSD. ULE feels more sluggish with daily work under kde314
and if you wan't to replay two mpegs at the same time it's impossible with
ULE (mplayer) where 4BSD has absolutely no problems (with our without seti,
doesnt make big difference)

So long, thank you all,

-Harry