Re: init and USB oddities-ULE-ATA

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:25:42 -0800
On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 04:39:08AM +0100, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> Salve,
>
> since about one day "kill 1" and "init 1" don't work anymore!
> Now I don't know how to change to single user mode from normal boot now.

"shutdown -r now" will reboot the system.  There are
a number of ways to get to single user mode as the
system is rebooting.

Note: your method does not boot the new kernel and Kirk's
recent statfs changes may cause all sorts of problems
for you.

> Usually I do installworld in singleuser mode.

You should reboot.

> Then I see the following lines on dmesg which I don't know how to hanlde:
> 1)
> warning: KLD '/boot/kernel/linprocfs.ko' is newer than the linker.hints file
> 	perhaps recompiling linux-base?
> 2)
> module_register: module uhub/ums already exists!
> Module uhub/ums failed to register: 17

Do you see these messages if you reboot the system?

> Next I'd like to report is what I already mentioned in "ULE and very bad
> responsiveness"   I followed Jeff Roberson hint and ran setiathome with
> nice 20. But this didn't really change anything.

ULE has been rock solid for mei since Jeff's last
major update.  Of course, I run neither setiathome
nor KDE.

--
Steve