Re: init and USB oddities-ULE-ATA

From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h_at_schmalzbauer.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 05:41:04 +0100
On Monday 17 November 2003 05:25, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 04:39:08AM +0100, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
>
> > Salve,
> >
> > since about one day "kill 1" and "init 1" don't work anymore!
> > Now I don't know how to change to single user mode from normal boot now.
>
> "shutdown -r now" will reboot the system.  There are
> a number of ways to get to single user mode as the
> system is rebooting.

I know that, but I'd like to change to singleuser mode like before.

> Note: your method does not boot the new kernel and Kirk's
> recent statfs changes may cause all sorts of problems
> for you.

No, I had running a kernel with the new statfs changes without any problems.
It's smoething shortly changed after the statfs changes. I'm very sure!

> > Usually I do installworld in singleuser mode.
>
> You should reboot.

No.

> > Then I see the following lines on dmesg which I don't know how to hanlde:
> > 1)
> > warning: KLD '/boot/kernel/linprocfs.ko' is newer than the linker.hints
> > file perhaps recompiling linux-base?
> > 2)
> > module_register: module uhub/ums already exists!
> > Module uhub/ums failed to register: 17
>
> Do you see these messages if you reboot the system?

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
These lines show up while booting

> > Next I'd like to report is what I already mentioned in "ULE and very bad
> > responsiveness"   I followed Jeff Roberson hint and ran setiathome with
> > nice 20. But this didn't really change anything.
>
> ULE has been rock solid for mei since Jeff's last
> major update.  Of course, I run neither setiathome
> nor KDE.
Give setiathome a try! You'll be astonished. And I'm sure the difference I
_feel_ isn't dependend on kde. If you don't like kde replace it with our
favourite wm/desktop. But you won't be able to play two mid to high-quality
mpegs at the same time on a 1GHz machine where 4BSD scheduler does very well!

I haven't claimed ULE to be unstable though. I just wanted to highlight some
issues which will be a big problem if 5.2-releas will have ULE as default!

-Harry