Re: init and USB oddities-ULE-ATA

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:08:46 -0800
On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 05:41:04AM +0100, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:

> > > Next I'd like to report is what I already mentioned in "ULE and very bad
> > > responsiveness"   I followed Jeff Roberson hint and ran setiathome with
> > > nice 20. But this didn't really change anything.
> >
> > ULE has been rock solid for me since Jeff's last
> > major update.  Of course, I run neither setiathome
> > nor KDE.
> >
> Give setiathome a try! You'll be astonished.

No thanks.  It's a waste of CPU cycle.

> And I'm sure the difference I _feel_ isn't dependend on kde. If you
> don't like kde replace it with our favourite wm/desktop.

I prefer fvwm2.  ULE works fairly well.

> But you won't be able to play two mid to high-quality
> mpegs at the same time on a 1GHz machine where 4BSD scheduler does very well!

I can assure you that the numerical simulations I run, along with
the "make worlds", and compilations of gcc's tree-ssa branch
stress the system.  I re-install over 100 ports today and the
load average was rarely below 5.  I was use linux-opera and
knews and sylpheed and several other program and noticed
nor degradation in responsiveness.  Does seti cause a problem
if you are not running X (or KDE).

> I haven't claimed ULE to be unstable though. I just wanted to highlight some
> issues which will be a big problem if 5.2-releas will have ULE as default!

If ULE is destined to be the default scheduler in 5-stable, then
we need to have more people test it.

--
Steve