Re: dc still reporting collisions

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:14:05 -0800 (PST)
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Jos Backus wrote:

> > If its a real hub, hubs aren't full duplex.
>
> Yeah, I know (believe it or not, but my job description says "Network
> Engineer" :-).

I don't make assumptions about titles and knowledge levels. :-)

> > If its a switch, the switch and PC might not have negoatiated full duplex
> > properly. Try unplug/replug the cable, or switch to autoselect.
>  Thanks for the advice, but this setup has been working unchanged for
> years now. All that's really changed is FreeBSD on this machine. It
> could be broken hardware though. I'm going to try booting 4.9-RELEASE
> and see if I can get FTP to work (5.1-RELEASE just hangs during root
> mount).

Just because it's been "working forever" doesn't mean it can't fail.
Ever heard of power surges?  Static discharge?  I've seen a tx on a Compaq
motherboard go kaput with no intervention whatsoever.  It happens.

Thankfully collisions are fairly deterministic.