Re: HEADS UP: /bin and /sbin are now dynamically linked

From: Julian Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:26:00 +0100 (CET)
Bill Vermillion wrote:
> I would think that instead of NO_DYNAMICROOT root in make.conf,
> a varialbe of  DYNAMICROOT be used with the default of building
> static, and having the option of building dynamic for those
> who need to save those few MB of space.  IOW don't change one of
> the things that has made the BSD so rugged and reliable for so many
> years.

Seconded !  Better commit an improved switch with default = Off.

Richard Coleman wrote:
> But I think the time for these discussions is passed.

current_at_ is only a concensus of /usr/src developers.  /usr/src &
/usr/ports/ users on hackers_at_ ports_at_ isp_at_ may not have seen current_at_'s
change ? that may make later net upgrades more problematic / dangerous.

FreeBSD (non current) can be net upgraded to new releases without
any /usr/src & /usr/obj on either remote target or local (keyboard)
system, using merely an ftp'd new binary tree + `mv'.  Will a safe
new `ftp + mv' procedure be documented ?

-
Julian Stacey       Freelance Systems Engineer, Unix & Net Consultant, Munich.