Re: hard lock-up writing to tape

From: Mike Durian <durian_at_boogie.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:38:03 -0700
On Monday 17 November 2003 10:50 am, Doug White wrote:

> To debug this, you will need to set up a serial console with some special
> kernel options.  Instructions for booting with serial console are in the
> Handbook, but you will have to compile with the following kernel options:

Is there a trick to setting up a serial console on sio1?  My line
drivers are fried on sio0 and I only have sio1, sio4 and sio5 available
for use.

I set BOOT_COMCONSOLE_PORT= 0x2F8 in /etc/make.conf, rebuilt
sys/boot and installed.  I put the new boot blocks on disk using
bsdlabel -B /dev/ad0s2.  I edited /boot/device.hints and changed
hint.sio.0.flags="0x10" to hint.sio.1.flags="0x10".  I also
tried statically compiling the hints into the kernel.

Now when I boot and use -h or set console=comconsole in loader,
the console flips away from the vidconsole as expected, but doesn't
go to sio1.  At least not so I can tell.  I've got a null-modem
connecting sio1 to a tip session on another machine.  I've verified
the connection is good because I can tip between the two machines
manually.

What am I missing?

mike