Re: HEADS UP: /bin and /sbin are now dynamically linked

From: Peter Wemm <peter_at_wemm.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:27:36 -0800
Ken Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 12:59:47PM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
>
> > It is 'system' binaries.  The distinction between bin and sbin (and /usr/
> > bin and /usr/sbin) is that the binaries in */sbin are only really supposed
> > to be useful for administrators or other priviliged users.
>
> Yup, this distinction was in place long before shared libraries came
> along but not in its current form.  You can only consider yourself a
> true UNIX dinosaur if at some point you changed your path to replace
> "/usr/etc /etc" with "/usr/sbin /sbin".  /etc was where they lived
> at first.

*Everbody* knows that ifconfig belongs in /etc/ifconfig :-)

On my SVR4 system (past life), /bin was a symlink to /usr/bin and /sbin
was a symlink to /usr/sbin.  /usr was on /.  Things were simpler.

I say we ditch this silly /usr thing and put it all in /bin + /lib and be
done with it. :-)

Cheers,
-Peter
--
Peter Wemm - peter_at_wemm.org; peter_at_FreeBSD.org; peter_at_yahoo-inc.com