Re: HEADS UP: /bin and /sbin are now dynamically linked

From: boyd, rounin <boyd_at_insultant.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 01:38:23 +0100
From: "Tim Kientzle" <kientzle_at_acm.org>
> Many of us here have been hamstrung by systems that didn't
> provide a static fallback.  I've personally been bitten by
> unrecoverable Linux and Solaris systems due to hosed shared
> libraries.

bingo.  a small set of tools will usually save you.  vi(1) is out
of the question because it is too complex.  init, sh, echo, cat,
ed, sed, fsck (and 'once upon a time' fsdb) should do it.

remove dynamic linking and you remove Yet Another Band-Aid.

the kernel should be able to page stuff right which should eliminate
the need for this folly.