Re: IBM Blade

From: Blaz Zupan <blaz_at_si.FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:56:38 +0100 (CET)
> Has anyone been successful installing
> FreeBSD 5.x (or 4.x) on an IBM HS20 Blade?
>
> I would surely be interested in pointers if
> possible.

I tried but failed miserably. There were two problems:

1. It is impossible to boot from CD. Neither 4.8 nor 5.1 boot from CD. Booting
from floppy works but is of course cumbersome.

2. After boot, keyboard did not work. The problem is that although the
keyboard is actually a USB keyboard, the AT port is still connected so FreeBSD
detects the normal keyboard as well, so the nonexisting AT keyboard becomes
/dev/kbd0 while the real (USB) keyboard becomes /dev/kbd1. This was a bug in
both 4.8 and 5.1 and it is supposedly fixed in 4.9. I'll have the possibility
to test 4.9 on the blade soon now and I'll be able to test it.

Both the fiberchannel and ethernet seem to be detected during bootup, but I
don't know if they actually work...