Re: IBM Blade

From: Marco Re <m.re_at_inet.it>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 18:18:44 +0100
On Tuesday 18 November 2003 17:56, Blaz Zupan wrote:
> > FreeBSD 5.x (or 4.x) on an IBM HS20 Blade?
> >
> > I would surely be interested in pointers if
> > possible.
>
> I tried but failed miserably. There were two problems:
>
> 1. It is impossible to boot from CD. Neither 4.8 nor 5.1 boot from CD.
> Booting from floppy works but is of course cumbersome.

I've made the installation using the pxe network installation
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pxe/index.html
and it worked without problem.

> 2. After boot, keyboard did not work. The problem is that although the
> keyboard is actually a USB keyboard, the AT port is still connected so
> FreeBSD detects the normal keyboard as well, so the nonexisting AT keyboard
> becomes /dev/kbd0 while the real (USB) keyboard becomes /dev/kbd1. This was
> a bug in both 4.8 and 5.1 and it is supposedly fixed in 4.9. I'll have the
> possibility to test 4.9 on the blade soon now and I'll be able to test it.

I've solved DISABLING every kind of usb from the kernel.
but making so I lost the floppy and the cdrom. :-(
I've not tried with 4.9
but only with 4.8 R

> Both the fiberchannel and ethernet seem to be detected during bootup, but I
> don't know if they actually work...

the ethernet worked fine.

Ciao Marco