Re: Recovery? recent "make world" rendered system unusable (64 bit change)

From: masta <masta_at_wifibsd.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:09:49 -0600 (CST)
Hiya,

Chris Shenton wrote:
[snip]

> Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

Yes, You need to exploit the notion of booting from another root
filesystem, mounting the broken root, and then taking corrective action on
the corrupted files.

The easy way is to grab a recent livecd from the jp snapshot service. With
the jpsnap livecd I was able to boot, copy all the working binaries from
the cdrom over the corrupt binaries on the local HDD. I suggest you try
the same idea.

Certainly there are other ways to do the same exact thing, but without the
time and expense of downloading the iso9660 image, and burning a rom.
Certainly you could make due with a set of floppies, and/or nfs from
another -current machine.

unzip ; strip ; touch ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep

masta_at_wifibsd.org
http://wifibsd.org