Re: Unfortunate dynamic linking for everything

From: Gunther Nikl <gni_at_gecko.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:47:46 +0100
On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 06:26:21PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :Our rationale for encouraging Gordon is as follows:
> :
> :1.  4.x upgrade path:  As we approach 5-STABLE, a lot of users might want
> :    to upgrade from 4-STABLE.  Historically in 4.x, the / partition has
> :    been very modest in size.  One just simply cannot cram the bloat that
> :    has grown in 5.x into a 4.x partition scheme.  Of course there is the
> :    venerable 'dump - clean install - restore' scheme, but we were looking
> :    for something a little more user-friendly.
>
>     This argument would apply to very old 4.x users but not to anyone who
>     installed it as of March 2001.  I bumped the nominal size of the
>     root partition to 128MB in 1.98.2.7 of sysinstall/label.c.

  Don't you think that people are able to change defaults if they think
  thats appropriate?

>     Prior to that Jordan had bumped the root partition size to 100MB
>     in 1.98.2.3 in March 2001.  It was 50MB before then, which is too
>     small even for 4.x.

  Hm, then why do I have still room on my 50MB root partition?

    $ df
    Filesystem         1K-blocks    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
    /dev/vinum/root        49583   29040   16577    64%    /

  Thats enough for installworld (if softupdates are turned off)

  Gunther