Re: Unfortunate dynamic linking for everything

From: Bruce Evans <bde_at_zeta.org.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 06:27:31 +1100 (EST)
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> set init_path=/rescue/init

If dynamic root were ready to be turned on, then /rescue/init would be
in the default init_path.

> A dynamicly linked /sbin/init just
> makes it harder to get to the rescue bits, so it makes sense to
> link init(8) staticly. Especially since there's no advantage to
> dynamic linking init(8) that compensates for the inconvience.

It obviously uses NSS.  How else could it be so bloated? :

$ ls -l /sbin/init
-r-x------  1 root  wheel  453348 Nov 18 10:30 /sbin/init

(My version is linked statically of course.)

The NSS parts of init might not be needed in normal operation, but its
hard to tell.

Bruce